Monday, May 14, 2007

Virology and PBL

We had our first virology seminar today. It didn't seem to be as hectic as the previous ones on bacteria were, even though it covered a ton of material. I think we didn't go into as much depth today as we did for the bacteria seminars. There are still tons of viral groups to learn. I haven't even been trying to memorize them all now. I already know for sure that I'll have to learn all of this stuff again next year for the boards. Micro is just one of those things you have to keep reviewing over and over.

I've been waiting for this PBL case all year, ever since I found out last fall that it is based upon the case of one of the current CCLCM students. I don't want to spoil the story for those of you who are going to be going through the case next year. But suffice it to say that the patient is very much alive and well and most of the way through medical school. Finally, we've gotten the first PBL case for this block that is going to have a happy ending! The funny thing about it was that apparently I was the only one in my group who knew the origin of the case. My classmates didn't believe me at first when I said what the diagnosis was, and I could have just kept quiet about how I knew and seemed House-like in my deductive skills. But I did tell them that the person the case was based on had told me, and that was how I knew. :-P

No comments: