Saturday, October 28, 2006

FAQ #15: What Do You Like Most and Least about CCLCM?

I've been holding off answering this question because I wanted to wait until I had experienced more of the program. If you've been reading my blog, you probably already have a pretty good idea about what I like and don't like about the program. But here's my list in one place.


Things I Love about CCLCM:

  • my classmates (well, most of them)
  • no tests (generally speaking)
  • anatomy lab (surprisingly, this is one of my favorite seminars every week)
  • anatomy office hours (it's like private anatomy tutoring)
  • PBL (kind of chaotic, but it's a lot more fun than lectures, and I learn a lot too)
  • clinical skills class (challenging to the point of being overwhelming sometimes, but I'm learning a ton)
  • clinic (also challenging, but it feels like I'm actually starting to learn how to be a doctor)
  • the faculty (again, most of them)
  • CHI (our free clinic)
  • Thursdays off (I love Thursdays)
  • research seminars (again, most of them)

Things I Don't Love so Much about CCLCM:

  • FCM (no further comment, because I can't say anything nice)
  • Ohio weather (I swear it rains here every single day)
  • zillions of meetings (sometimes it seems like my meetings have meetings)

Overall, looking at the balance of positives and negatives, I mostly love CCLCM. However, I've said this before, and it bears repeating: this program is unique, and it's definitely not for everyone. I think that a lot of people don't feel comfortable about the idea of attending a school like CCLCM, and there is nothing wrong with feeling that way. There are a lot of great medical schools out there, and you can get a great education at any of them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be interviewing at CCLCM in dec...any tips for the interview? Are they very focussed on research during the interview?

CCLCM Student said...

Check out FAQ #9: http://cclcmstudent.blogspot.com/2006/09/faq-9-ive-been-invited-to-interview.html If you have some more questions, feel free to ask away. And good luck with your interivew. :-)

Anonymous said...

What is FCM? What don't you like about it?

CCLCM Student said...

Check out this post: http://cclcmstudent.blogspot.com/2006/10/foundations-of-clinical-medicine.html

Basically, I think the main problem that most people have with FCM is that it is kind of random. There may be some rhyme or reason to it, but whatever the organizing principles are, they're beyond us.