Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Innate Immunity and PBL

Today was another kind of slow day. I'm not complaining about that, mind you. Our morning seminar was the third part of the innate immunity seminars we were doing last week. It was about the same as the first two parts: they gave us data from research articles, and we went over them in small groups. Our PBL patient is going to join a clinical trial. We were a little bit confused because the drug she's getting is already a drug on the market, but that's just because this case happened several years ago (obviously, before the drug got FDA approval). My learning objective is about neutrophils, which are white blood cells. It was originally supposed to be about neutropenia (shortage of neutrophils). But I made an executive decision to broaden the topic, because it wasn't very interesting all by itself.

Tomorrow, my personal development and communication competencies are due for my portfolio. I don't have to go in to school, so I can just email them to my PA from home. I haven't discussed my individual essays much, but they're each two pages, 1.5 spaced, Ariel 11 point font, 1 inch margins. (Yes, the MSPRC requires this.) I can already see that I am going to have a lot of evidence. Luckily, I've been keeping my evals and other evidence organized in my portal files as they come in. I started keeping up with filing my evidence after making the mistake of NOT doing that over the summer and suffering through trying to write my first formative portfolio with disorganized evidence. I'd give the same advice to those of you who will do this for the first time next year: keep your evidence organized from the beginning, and it will make writing the portfolio essays MUCH less painful.

No comments: