Thursday, August 03, 2006

Starting to Put Things Together

Today was Thursday, so we didn't have any class. I had a long day in the lab today, but I got a lot accomplished. I feel like I am finally starting to get more comfortable with the techniques we've been doing. I've actually done some of them before, but of course every lab does things differently. I can already see a difference in my level of skill, though, and that is very gratifying.

We have journal club again tomorrow, and I'm noticing that it's getting easier to read the journal articles too. It's not that they are any easier than the ones we had to read last week, but I am starting to be able to put some of these concepts together in a way where I remember oh yeah, I just read about that last week. This relates to that by this mechanism. At the beginning, I felt like nothing really seemed to go together or be connected, and now all of a sudden I am starting to see the relationships between things. I have more appreciation for how this program has been set up in terms of how much they integrated it. That's not to say that I'm not annoyed at having to do some of the assignments or that I find everything equally valuable as a learning experience. Nothing is perfect. But I can definitely see that I am starting to adapt to this system. It's a lot of work being in med school, but I'm feeling like I can handle it.

No comments: