Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Third Day of Medical School

We had our second PSS today, and it went MUCH better than the one we did on Monday. First of all, we were more organized, and that allowed us to be more efficient. Second of all, we had a better sense of how much time we could spend on any one question. The facilitator barely had to help us at all; we were really on track. Not only that, I also think that I got a lot more out of the PSS today than I did on Monday. But as frustrated as we were on Monday, it was still a good experience in that it helped us figure out how to function better as a group. Our next PSS is Friday; tomorrow is a research day, and I also have to meet individually with my PA.

I went to the lab again today, but I didn't get much accomplished because the experiment that they did yesterday was done incorrectly, and also because the prof decided to change my project. I'm going to be looking at how a drug inhibits a protein now instead. So no more bacteria, which I can't say terribly upsets me. I don't know if you've ever worked with bacteria or not, but if you haven't, take my word for this: they really stink.

This evening I found a bunch of papers that I can read to help me learn the techniques, and I am going to start working on my reading for Friday too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bacteria stink both literally and figuratively. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I found your blog through SDN and I'm really enjoying reading it! Hope you keep it up!

I'm still undergrad, but this summer I'm doing research on protein structure, so I've been working with bacteria (E.coli). It's pretty cool, and yes, quite smelly. Good luck with your new project!

CCLCM Student said...

Bacteria definitely stink. I think that autoclaving the old plates is the worst part of dealing with them! Proteins are very cool though, and they're so important in medicine. It sounds like you will have a great summer experience.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I do plan to keep blogging as I go through school, so I appreciate knowing that there are some people out there who are reading it!