Friday, November 14, 2008

Done with Micro

This has been a very easy and relaxing week. I come in around 8 AM, hang out with the med techs for a few hours, go to a lunchtime talk, go on afternoon rounds, hang out and read for a few more hours (or maybe go to another talk), and I'm out of there around 4 PM. I went to the gym for the first time in about six months on Tuesday. I get a full eight hours of sleep every night. It's amazing. That being said, I'm ready to move on. I've covered most of the benches in the lab by this point, and I feel like another two weeks in here would probably be two weeks too many. There's a lot to be said for two week rotations. They're long enough to give you a taste of the subject, but not long enough to bore you.

I turned in my mini-clinical portfolio yesterday. This is a two page essay talking about what I did well and what I need to work on after my first block of rotations. It wasn't hard to write the essay at all. But putting in the citations was a huge job, because every eval from each attending has exactly the same title. So each time I wanted to cite someone who had written more than one eval for me, I had to open every single eval by that person in RefWorks until I found the one I wanted. I hate RefWorks more than I can possibly express in words. It's the most user-unfriendly program on the whole planet. I don't think the people who wrote it could possibly make it harder to use if they actively tried.

Today's FCM class was on dealing with difficult patients. It wasn't one of the better FCM classes we've had, but it was ok. They had standardized patients pretending to be the difficult patients, but they weren't very difficult. I've dealt with much more challenging real patients already. Plus, there wasn't enough info in the case scenarios, so it wasn't even clear what the problem was. Tonight I am having dinner with a couple of the UP students I rotated with last month, and then I am going to spend the rest of this weekend doing basically nothing.

No comments: