Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Deserted by My Preceptor?

This week we are learning about cardiac arrhythmias. Our PBL case is about a patient with an arrhythmia, and yesterday we had a seminar on the biochemistry of arrhythmias. That one wasn't the best seminar I've ever attended, but I really loved the one we had today. We went over to the EKG lab and had three stations. The first one was kind of repetitive from last year--we went into the electrophysiology lab and watched part of a procedure being performed. Then we had two stations about reading EKGs. One was by a physician who taught us about EKGs last year, and the other was with another physician who had made us a terrific booklet with explanations and examples of different arrhythmias and what they look like on EKG. I liked that third station the best, but we wound up having to leave before he was finished because we were already late for FCM. Two of my classmates did their patient and journal presentations like the one I did last week.

This afternoon I had clinic, and I got some bad news. My preceptor is planning to move out to one of the satellite campuses at the end of March. That will be in time for me to get my observed H & P done, but it will leave seven unfulfilled clinic sessions at the end of the year. I was planning to stop going to clinic in May anyway, because we are allowed to miss three clinic days and I haven't missed any yet. But missing all of my April clinics as well will be too many skipped days. I really don't want to have to go out to the satellite clinic, but it looks like I may need to go do a few sessions there.

No comments: