Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Finishing Up Research Stuff and Plain Dealer Article

Yesterday wasn't a particularly exciting day except that we got free books from one of the CCF rheumatologists who is a block leader for our upcoming Neuromusculoskeletal (NMS) block. She was telling us how previous students and residents loved this book and had gotten really interested in rheumatology because of it. I'm not sure that I'd go so far as to say that any book will get me all that excited about rheumatology, because NMS was by far my least favorite block last year. But I sure gotta love anyone who gives me free books! I spent the entire afternoon going over my slides with my research preceptor--to make a long story short, I pretty much have to redo them all over again. Although I wasn't thrilled about that, I have to admit that his organization is a lot better than mine was. Presenting clinical research is sure not very much like presenting basic science research.

Today more than made up for the lack of excitement yesterday, however. There was an article in this morning's Cleveland Plain Dealer claiming that CCLCM was going to be switching its affiliation from Case School of Medicine to Columbia. Dean Fishleder met with the CCLCM students this afternoon to discuss the article. Basically he told us that the article's conclusions were premature. It is true that the Clinic is looking at its options with other schools, but a new affiliation with Columbia or any other school is certainly not the done deal that the Plain Dealer made it out to be.

No comments: