Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Epidemiology, Meetings, and CCF Movie

The last couple of days have been kind of rough. It didn't help that I stayed up all night Monday reading the last Harry Potter book and felt totally hung over all day yesterday. I am also really behind with my epidemiology reading, partly because I was too brain-dead to do it, and partly because there was so much of it. I felt really lost in class today though, so I need to get back on track with it.

I haven't had much to do for my research this week because we're waiting for an agreement to be signed for the equipment we're going to use. I went to two research meetings yesterday afternoon and it was really hard to stay conscious. Afterward, I went home and just crashed. I was still pretty tired this morning though. I guess it didn't help that I went to school early yesterday to see the Clinical Research Grand Rounds. It was about pain, which sounded really interesting. But the talk itself was kind of disappointing, and it would have been even if I hadn't been up most of the night.

Today after class I read two chapters of my epi book, so I'm feeling a little more like I have a clue. I also went to a movie about the Cleveland Clinic called "All for One." It was actually really interesting. One thing that is kind of disappointing about going to a brand new school like this is that you don't have that same sense of history and tradition that you get at schools where they have classes dating back to the early 1900s or even the 1800s. CCF was started in 1921, and the movie traced the history all the way from WWI to the present, including starting this med school. It's a good reminder that CCLCM didn't just spontaneously begin in a vacuum. Seeing the med school in the context of the Clinic's entire history gives a better sense of how we are part of the larger CCF tradition.

The only other exciting thing is that I found out I'd be missing the fall OSCE because I'll be away presenting my work at a national research meeting. It's pretty lousy timing, but I don't want to miss the meeting, even for an OSCE. I went to find out if there was something I could do to make it up, but there really isn't. So I'm just going to have one less OSCE and fewer clinical evals than everyone else.

No comments: