Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Histology and PBL

Today was another short day for me. I'm finally starting to eat normal meals again for the most part, but they are all bland things like bagels and pasta. It has taken me a lot longer to recover from my illness than I had expected. Our seminar today was GI histology. I really don't like histo seminars. This instructor went around the room and asked us what we noticed about the slide. The one I got asked about was of the tongue, so I mentioned that I saw the muscle. But that wasn't what she wanted. She wanted me to say that the color changed from dark pink to light pink between the muscle and the surface. Ok, yeah, that's true, but that's kind of an obvious observation assuming you're not colorblind. The whole session went on like this. We have this lady again on Friday and then again next week too. Sigh.

PBL went fine. I can't remember if I ever mentioned that the physicians in our PBL cases are real physicians here at CCF. One thing that is funny about this week's case is that the physician in the case is the same one we had as our tutor last block. My new group is pretty hardcore with coming up with learning objectives. We had eight of them on Monday, and we came up with eight again today. My learning objective for Friday is basically a review of what we're covering in the seminars, but that's ok. It definitely doesn't hurt to cover this stuff again. I'll just make my presentation more like a quiz. Today I was presenting about the pharmacology of drugs for gastroesophageal reflux, and just as I began, the pharmacist who is one of our coursemasters came in. I'm glad that I was well prepared, because I wasn't expecting to have a pharmacist in the room! She told me that I did a good job with all the drugs though.

I don't have anything that I have to do this afternoon, so I'm going home. I think tonight I am going to try to eat a normal dinner. I'm getting pretty sick of eating this bland diet.

No comments: