Thursday, January 25, 2007

Seminar, Clinical Research Class and Portfolio Essay

I came in early today to see a seminar being given by the director of the Framingham Heart Study. I almost didn't go because I still had so much work to do on my portfolio essay, but the talk was great, and I'm really glad that I went. It was worth losing an extra hour's sleep. The talk was mainly about hypertension (high blood pressure) as a risk factor for coronary artery disease. According to the Framingham results, there is a linear relationship between the two: if you lower your blood pressure more, your risk of CAD goes down proportionately.

We went over statistical tests and hypothesis generation in the clinical research class. These are important subjects, but wow, three hours of powerpoints by a statistician on this topic is a bit much, particularly when you've only had a few hours' sleep the night before. I had finished writing the draft of my portfolio essay by this point, but I still had to go back and put in my references, proofread it, and get it uploaded to the portal. Amazingly, I only had to get help from the tech support people once, and I got the finished essay uploaded by about 3 PM.

I forgot to mention that the cops were checking IDs all over Lerner today. Apparently there were some animal rights nutjobs protesting outside in the snow, but I didn't see them.

No comments: