Monday, January 22, 2007

Anatomy of the Leg and PBL

We went over the anatomy of the leg today, and again, it was a lot less hectic in comparison to when we did the anatomy of the forearm and hand a couple of weeks ago. The good thing too is that we really don't need to know too much about the anatomy of the foot, so that eliminates a lot of tiny muscles and bones. It also makes it easier to learn about the leg if you do it by compartments instead of trying to memorize every individual muscle, nerve, and blood vessel. I'm a lousy memorizer anyway, so I would never dare try to just memorize everything without a context like that.

The POD coursemaster didn't know she wasn't supposed to tell us the answer to the PBL case last Friday when she talked to us about what we'd be doing this week. So it was a little anticlimactic to try to go through the case to "come up" with the diagnosis that we already knew. We still came up with some good learning objectives and had a good discussion about the science though. My learning objective is about the pharmacology of acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. I'm the group leader this week, and the job was much easier with this group than with my last group. Somehow, we were always rushing and pressed for time in my last group, and it was kind of stressful to be the leader and have to keep everyone on task. But this group is a lot more easygoing and relaxed, and we don't seem to have the same problem with finishing late. I don't know how much of that has to do with the different mix of people in the group versus the fact that my classmates and I are a lot more experienced now with doing PBL cases. Probably it's a mixture of both. Someone could do a research project about the improvement in functioning of PBL groups over time if it hasn't already been done.

I don't have anything that I have to do at school this afternoon, so I'm going home to work on my paper and try to get a little of tomorrow's reading done. We have a ridiculous amount of reading to do for tomorrow. I think it's close to 100 pages, although thankfully some of it is optional.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't *you* do it?

Come on—you're learning all these research skills at CCLCM. Let's put them to use!

Seriously though, if you could figure out how to do it, it would look superb on your portfolio, and could get you a publication.

CCLCM Student said...

Two reasons: 1) time, and 2) lack of familiarity with the literature, which brings us back to 1). ;-) In all seriousness, I would guess that it's been done before. There's no way I'm the first person to ever think of this.