Wednesday, August 23, 2006

More Bioinformatics and a Mystery Solved

We had another bioinformatics PSS today; basically we kept going from where we left off yesterday. My group spent most of the time trying to figure out what domains were present in our protein, and what domains were homologous to it in the proteins of other organisms. We found lots of other vertebrate proteins (frogs, birds, mice, etc.), but we also found some insects (flies, mosquitoes) and even some bacteria, viruses and fungi. Of course, the farther out you go evolutionarily, the less correlation there is between those proteins and human proteins.

Today I finally solved a great mystery. I kept hearing this random beeping noise every so often. It wasn't horribly loud or annoying, just four beeps, then nothing. It turns out that it was my pager, and it is apparently beeping at me because I've received some pages over the past two months. There were five total, and I figured out how to retrieve them after a while of playing around with it. Ironically, only one was actually meant for me. There was one page that was clearly intended for someone else....I don't know that person, and I was not in on that particular tidbit of news, but it was interesting to read all about it! One other was some random phone number that I didn't recognize, and the last two were just single digits. I have no idea what those are about. The bad news is that I haven't figured out how to erase the pages yet, so the stupid thing is still beeping at me. For now, I've muffled it in several layers of bags, and I'll read the instructions later when I have more time. I don't even need it yet, but I already am finding out that I do not like having my own beeper. That, and it is a very bad idea to send personal messages by beeper....you could be sorry if you screw up and send it to the wrong person.

No comments: