Monday, September 11, 2006

More Biochemistry

We had another PSS today on metabolism, covering fatty acids specifically. I didn't really know too much about fatty acid metabolism before doing today's reading. So it was a lot of new material, but it was still interesting. I've told you before that there are these clinical correlations in the Devlin book where they relate the biochemistry to medical concepts. One of them had to do with the Atkins diet and what happens to your body when you go on a low-carb diet like that. Basically, you start mobilizing fatty acids and proteins so that you can produce glucose. You get halitosis because of the ketone bodies you produce, one of which is acetone. Apparently the diet works and it's probably safe. But it's not something you can stay on for the rest of your life, because the carb restrictions are so severe and most people eventually cheat. The experts don't really understand why you lose more weight on a low carb diet that is isocaloric with a low fat diet. Anyway, the Atkins diet is still pretty controversial, so it was interesting to learn about. Personally, I'd rather work out more or something than reduce my caloric intake if I were trying to lose weight.

In the afternoon, I went to the lab and worked some more on my proposal. My preceptor had given me a ton of corrections, so now I need to go back and fix all of those things. I also re-started the experiment I had screwed up before. So far, it seems to be going well. This is a really hectic week. I'll be glad when it's over. Why does it seem like the end of a school period is always so crazy?

No comments: